Views of England, Wales and Scotland by
£5.00 each or £20.00 for any five views
A series of colour prints
Paper size for most of the prints is 16 1/2 x 12 inches.
The vignette views vary in size
but are about 11 x 7 inches
The Eastgate, Chester
Chester, one of the most important Roman military bases in the country as the headquarters of the famous 20th Legion, known as Valeria Victrix. Its latin name, Deva means 'holy place' honoured the goddess of the River Dee. Raised, coverered galleries, known as Rowse date back to the 13th century and are peculiar to Chester. The Jubilee Clock was given to the town by Edward Evans-Lloyd to mark Queen Victoria's Jubilee of 1897.
St. Werburgh Street, Town Hall and Cathedral Gardens, Chester
Founded nearly 2000 years ago by the Romans, Chester boats some of the richest archaeological and architectural treasures in Britain. It is the only city in England to have preserved its Roman and medieval walls in their entirety and today they provide a circular 2 mile circuit walk offering great views of the city and surrounding countryside. The medieval town once flourished as a trading post until silting of the Dee during the 15th century brought decline in trade prosperity. The beautiful sandstone cathedral dates from the 14th century but perhaps the source of the city's distinctive character comes from the black and white timbered buildings and galleried tiers of shops known as The Rows.
Dove Cottage, William Wordworths home 1799-1808
Dove Cottage was formerly an inn called 'The Dove and Olive Bough'. The cottage was home to William and Dorothy Wordsworth from 1799 to 1808. It was here he wrote Michael, Resolution and Independence , Ode: Intimations of Immortality and completed The Prelude (1805). The daily life of the pot and his family is recorded in his sister Dorothy's famous Journals. There were many literary visitors to Dove Cottage including Sir Walter Scott, Robert Southey, Coleridge and Thomas de Quincey. De Quincey described the cottage as "gleaming in the midst of trees, with a vast and seemingly never ending series of ascents rising above it".
During the 16th century ships sailed to every part of the known world from the posrt of Bristol, opening up international trading routes. In 1843 Brunel launched his SS Great Britain, the largest iron ship of the time. In 1970 its hulk was rescued from the Falkland Islands and retuned to the Bristol dock. Bristol's many lovely buildings include a cathedral that contains examples of Norman, early-English, gothic and Victorian architecture. The docklands area has been heavily restored with a variety of leisure and entertainment features including the Bristol Exhibition Watershed Arts complex, the Arnolfini Gallery, National Lifeboat Museum and the Industrial and Maritime Heritage Centre.
Bristol, Clifton Suspension Bridge
During the 16th century ships sailed to every part of the known world from the port of Bristol, opening up international trading routes. In 1843 Brunel launched his SS Great Britain, the largest iron ship of the time. In 1970 its hulk was rescued from the Falkland Islands and retuned to the Bristol dock. Bristol's many lovely buildings include a cathedral that contains examples of Norman, early-English, gothic and Victorian architecture. The docklands area has been heavily restored with a variety of leisure and entertainment features including the Bristol Exhibition Watershed Arts complex, the Arnolfini Gallery, National Lifeboat Museum and the Industrial and Maritime Heritage Centre.
Albert Dock, Liverpool
In 1207 King John granted the fishing village of 'Livpul', a charter to encourage the development of the port. Modern Liverpool prospered in the 17th and 18th centuries through the impact of the West Indies sugar trade and slave trade. It became a busy terminal for the Cunard Line and merchant ships from all over the world. Albert Dock forms part of the 7 miles of docks along the waterfront. Three landmarks dominate the pierhead - Royal Liver Building, Cunard Building and the Dock Board Offices. Liverpool is the second largest post after London.
Clarence House, from the Mall, London
Gracious stuccoed house for William, Duke of Clarence, by John Nash on the site of his old lodgings. It was finished in 1828. In 1830 William became King and, because Buckingham Palace was not finished he continued to live there. He tried St. James's Palace for a time, but found there was so little room that he and his Queen had to move all their books and letters out of the rooms before levees. So a passage to connect the palace with Clarence House was built. On King William's death in 1837 Princess Augusta, George III's daughter, took the house until her own death three years later.
Chiswick House, Burlington Lane, London
The villa was built in 1735 - 9 to plans by the Earl of Burlington in the Palladian style which he introduced to London. Above the low ground floor there is a tall upper storey with a colonnaded portico reached by a double staircase at either side. The interior is by W. Kent. Features include the octagonal domed central hall and the gallery which has a frescoed ceiling and is in white and gold.
The Iron Bridge across the River Severn
The little town of Ironbridge is set on steep limestone slopes above a narrow gorge through which the River Severn flows. Ironbridge has become famous because the first iron bridge was built here in 1779. It surely must be the most beautiful monument there is to the Industrial Revolution, which had its birth in the surrounding area. The bridge was designed by F. F. Pritchard and case in 1774 at Abraham Darby's foundry in Coalbrookdale.
Stokesay Castle is one of the earliest fortified manor houses in England - the oldest parts of which date from the 12th century and the great hall from the 13th century. It is an extraordinary structure with its massive stone towers topped with a timber framed house - and of outstanding interest. The gatehouse itself is a fascinating architectural relic dating from the 16th century.
The medieval timbered Exmoor village boats more to see than many a large town. The Norman castle site on a high moated pyramid shaped hill overlooking the one end of the village and at the other end is Conygar Hill Town (1775) a noted landmark for Bristol Channel shipping. The Priory Dovecote, the octagonal yarn market and the packhorse bridge across the River Avill provide a fascinating cross section of architectural styles.
For ever associated with the great landscape painter John Constable and pictured in so many of his paintings, (particularly 'The Hay Wain'), the mill now belongs to the National Trust. Standing beside the River Stour with its wooden bridge, timbered houses and Willy Lott's white cottage, it presents a scene which has attracted innumerable artists since Constable first painted it in the beginning of the 19th century.
The River Nidd flows through the steep gorge spanned by the 8th century bridge. "High Bridge", on whose banks can be found St. Robert's Cave, home of the 12th century hermit healer. The Prophetess, Mother Shipton, was reputedly born in a cave outside the town in 1488. The twin towers of the main gate and the dungeon are all that remain of the 14th century castle, demolished by the Roundheads in 1646. The chemist's shop in the market square is the oldest in England (est. 1720). The town also has a famous Dropping Well in which objects are turned to stone.
The interior of this early 18th century North Yorkshire stately home is just as spectacular as its magnificent exterior and impressive gardens which are crowned by the elaborate fountain designed for the 1851 Great Exhibition. Completed in 1737 for Charles Howard, third Earl of Carlisle, and designed by Sir John Vanburgh who was later to conceive Blenheim Palace, it remains in the Howard family. In recent years it was used as the setting for the television version of Evelyn Waugh's 'Brideshead Revisited'. Other treasures to be discovered in the 1,00 acre grounds, after passing through the huge pyramid adorned gate house, include two lakes, the Temple of the Four Winds and the Mausoleum. The house itself boasts a fine collection of period costumes.
The most splendid surviving example of a Cistercian Monastery, and also the most beautifully sited. It bestrides a half mile reach of Skeldale, between the quarried face of Rye Bank and the well wooded south side of the river. Its founders were a handful of Benedictines determined to establish a more cultured way of life, discovering the site in 1132. Because clear water sprang from the sheltering rocks, they named their new abode, Fountains. A seven storey tower rising 170 feet dominates the site, the creation of Abbot Huby in the 15th century. At the Dissolution, Fountains was the richest Cistercian prize to fall to Henry VIII.
The Abbey was founded by Richard Graville in 1130. The wealth it acquired during the 13th century was used to build the present church (1280 - 1330). Described as "the fairest Abbey in Wales" by antiquary John Leland and dissolved in 1539; Neath was bought in the late 16th century by Sir John Herbert who converted the Abbot's house into a country mansion.
The North Bridge, Edinburgh
First opened in 1772, widened in 1876 and reconstructed in 1877. North Bridge is the most outstanding of the city's many viaducts and spans the ravine between the New Town and the Old. During the 18th century Edinburgh began to expand and so a new town was built on the plans of the young architect James Craig. Princes Street runs arrow-straight at the foot of Castle Rock and was completed in 1805 to form part of the new town started 38 years earlier. In 1822 George IV became the first monarch to visit Edinburgh for almost 200 years. The visit was organised by Sir Walter Scott, whose memorial towers above Princes Street, standing 200 feet high containing niches with statues of 64 characters from Scott's works.
Eilean Donan Castle
This 'picture postcard' castle stands at the meeting place of three lochs, Alsh, Duick and Long. Built by Alexander II of Scotland in 1220 on an island, this MacKenzie stronghold was bombarded and blown up by the English warship Worcester in 1719 when it was being used as a base for Jacobite rising. In 1932 the ruins was rebuilt by the MacRae family and is now open to the public as a clan museum and war memorial.